The Faith Communities Today (FACT) surveys were coordinated by the Hartford Institute for Religion Research at the Hartford Seminary. Forty-two faith groups and denominations participated in the project. Each group designed a questionnaire in order to collect data that could be used to compare the local churches, synagogues and mosques within or between the participating groups. This dataset represents the results from the survey of Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) congregations in the United States.
- Data File
- Cases: 541
Weight Variable: None
- Data Collection
- Date Collected: 2000
- Funded By
- The Hartford Institute for Religion Research
Through a grant from The Lilly Endowment, Inc.
For information on The Lilly Endowment, Inc. project collecting the data, http://www.resourcingchristianity.org/grant-product/faith-communities-today-a-report-on-religion-in-the-united-states-today
- Collection Procedures
- The Faith Communities Today survey was mailed to a proportional stratified sample of 881 of the 11,178 churches in the United States affiliated with the Presbyterian Church. Sampling strata were region (four major U.S. Census regions), dominant race/ethnicity of membership (White, non-Hispanic; African-American; Asian; Hispanic; Native American), and membership size (<50 members, 50-99, 100-199, 200-449, 450-899, 900+).
Of the 881 surveys sent, 541 were returned, a response rate of 61percent.
- Sampling Procedures
- The Faith Communities Today data bring together 26 individual surveys of congregations representing 41 denominations and faith groups. Project participants developed a common core questionnaire. Groups then conducted their own, typically mail, surveys of a sample of congregations. Usually, the congregationís leader completed the questionnaire.
The projectís common core questionnaire includes more than 200 questions covering six broad areas:
* Worship and identity
* Location and facilities
* Internal and mission-oriented programs
* Leadership and organizational dynamics
The data in this file contain the responses to the survey developed by the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.).
Surveys were sent to a proportional stratified sample of 881 Presbyterian churches in the United States.
- Principal Investigators
- John P. Marcum, Research Services, Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.)
Cynthia A. Woolever, Hartfort Institute for Religion Research, Hartford Seminary
- Related Publications
- For more information about this survey, go to
For more information about the FACT surveys, go to
- The variable REGION, which classifies congregations into the four Census regions, was created from the ZIP code in which the congregation is located. The breakdown of regions by state is as follows:
District of Columbia=1