The 2008 Survey of Pastors, conducted by the Research Services of the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.), represents findings from a survey completed by 725 pastors of the Presbyterian church. The survey deals with matters such as clergy compensation, housing, the cost of education of children, the effectiveness of ministry support groups, the frequency and effectiveness of sabbaticals, health and well-being, and other topics.
"The 2008 Survey of Presbyterian Pastors reveals that most pastors consider their present compensation package to be fair and reasonable given the circumstances of the congregation. One in six live in a manse. Two in three report making changes to improve their health in the previous year. Learn more about Presbyterian pastors from this survey." (2008 Survey of Pastors).
- Data File
- Cases: 725
Weight Variable: None
- Data Collection
- Date Collected: February 25th, 2008 through March 27th, 2008
- Funded By
- Board of Pensions of the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.)
- Collection Procedures
- “The survey was administered by mail, with the initial mailing on February 25, 2008. A reminder postcard was sent to non-respondents on March 12, and second reminder, including another copy of the questionnaire, was sent to non-respondents on March 27.” (2008 Survey of Pastors). “The initial mailing and the second reminder included postage-paid reply envelopes and contained a cover letter from John P. Marcum, coordinator of Research Services for the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.). The client for the survey was the Board of Pensions of the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.).” (2008 Survey of Pastors).
- Sampling Procedures
- “This report presents findings from a survey sent to 1,000 pastors in Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) congregations. A total of 725 pastors responded, for a response rate of 73%.” (2008 Survey of Pastors). “Most respondents are either solo pastors or the heads of a multi-pastor staff (72%). Most of the rest are associate pastors (21%) or interim pastors (6%). Almost all serve a single congregation (99%). “(2008 Survey of Pastors).
- Principal Investigators
- John P. Marcum, coordinator of Research Services for the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.).
- Related Publications
- 2008 Survey of Pastors , Research Services, Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.)