Venezuela
 National Profiles > Regions > South America > Venezuela
Search National Profiles:

  Preferred Religion (2015)1: Catholic

  Majority Religion (2015)2: Catholic (81.2%)

Religious Adherents, (2015)2

Venezuela South America World
Christian (all denominations combined) 92.6% 89.1% 29.9%
 
  • Catholic
  • 81.2% 66.2% 15%
     
  • Protestant
  • 5.5% 7% 5.6%
     
  • Pentecostal
  • 2.2% 10.5% 2.8%
     
  • Other and Unknown Christian
  • 3.8% 5.1% 2.3%
    Christian Syncretic 1.1% 1.5% ---
    Ethnoreligionist (incl. Animist, Shamanist) 0.7% 0.5% 2.5%
    Bahai 0.6% 0.2% 0.1%
    Muslim (all denominations combined) 0.3% 0.3% 22.8%
     
  • Sunni Muslim
  • 0.3% 0.2% 19%
     
  • Other and Unknown Muslim
  • < 0.1% 0.1% 0.3%
    Buddhist (all denominations combined) 0.1% 0.1% 6.6%
     
  • Mahayana Buddhist
  • 0.1% --- 4.3%
    Other Religionist 0.1% 0.2% 0.2%
    Not Religious (incl. Atheist) 4.5% 6.4% 12%

    Religious Demography3

    The country has an area of 352,144 square miles and a population of 27 million. According to government estimates, 92 percent of the population is at least nominally Roman Catholic, and the remaining 8 percent Protestant, a member of another religion, or atheist. The Venezuelan Evangelical Council estimates that evangelical Protestants constitute 10 percent of the population.

    There are small but influential Muslim and Jewish communities. The Muslim community of more than 100,000 is concentrated among persons of Lebanese and Syrian descent living in Nueva Esparta State and the Caracas area. The Jewish community numbers approximately 13,000 and is mainly concentrated in Caracas.


    Sources

    1.  The Religious Characteristics of States Dataset Project: Government Religious Preference (GRP) measures government-level favoritism toward, and disfavor against, 30 religious denominations. A series of ordered categorical variables index the state's institutional favoritism in 28 different ways. The variables are combined to form five composite indices for five broad components of state-religion: official status, religious education, financial support, regulatory burdens, and freedom of practice. The five components' composites in turn are further combined into a single composite score, the GRP score. The RCS Data Project would like to acknowledge, recognize, and express our deepest gratitude for the significant contributions of Todd M. Johnson the principal investigator of the World Christian Database and the co-principal investigator of the World Religion Database.

    2.  The Religious Characteristics of States Dataset Project: Demographics reports the estimates of religious demographics, both country by country and region by region. The RCS was created to fulfill the unmet need for a dataset on the religious dimensions of countries of the world, with the state-year as the unit of observation. It estimates populations and percentages of adherents of 100 religious denominations including second level subdivision within Christianity and Islam. The RCS Data Project would like to acknowledge, recognize, and express our deepest gratitude for the significant contributions of Todd M. Johnson the principal investigator of the World Christian Database and the co-principal investigator of the World Religion Database.

    3.  The U.S. State Department's International Religious Freedom Report is submitted to Congress annually by the Department of State in compliance with Section 102(b) of the International Religious Freedom Act (IRFA) of 1998. This report supplements the most recent Human Rights Reports by providing additional detailed information with respect to matters involving international religious freedom. It includes individual country chapters on the status of religious freedom worldwide. A dataset with these and the other international measures highlighted on the country pages can be downloaded from this website. These State Department reports are open source.

    Bookmark and Share