- Religious Freedom
- Religious Regulation
- Religious Support
Preferred Religion (2015)1: Mixed Western Christian, Sunni
Majority Religion (2015)2: Protestant (incl. Anglican, Pentecostal) (45.4%)
Features Of Constitution
|Is there a constitution?3||yes|
|Does the constitution state an official religion?3||not stated|
|Does the constitution provide for freedom of religion?3||yes [Article 33]|
|Does the constitution protect religious equality/non-discrimination?3||yes [Article 20(1)]|
|Translation3||Original is in English.|
|Current as of3||August 24, 2018|
Constitution Excerpts (clauses that reference religion)3
Article 13. Principles of national policy.
The State shall actively promote the welfare and development of the people of Malawi by progressively adopting and implementing policies and legislation aimed at achieving the following goals---
(f) Education. To provide adequate resources to the education sector and devise programmes in order to---
(iv) promote national goals such as ... the elimination of ... religious ... intolerance.
Article 20. Equality.
(1) Discrimination of persons in any form is prohibited and all persons are, under any law, guaranteed equal and effective protection against discrimination on grounds of ... religion ...
Article 33. Freedom of conscience.
Every person has the right to freedom of conscience, religion, belief and thought ...
Article 42. Arrest, detention and fair trial.
(1) Every person who is detained, including every sentenced prisoner, shall have the right---
(d) to be given the means and opportunity to communicate with, and to be visited by, his or her ... religious counsellor ... of his or her choice;
Article 45. Derogation and public emergency.
(2) There shall be no derogation [from rights due to state of emergency] with regard to---
(h) the right to freedom of conscience, belief, thought and religion ...
1. The Religious Characteristics of States Dataset Project: Government Religious Preference (GRP) measures government-level favoritism toward, and disfavor against, 30 religious denominations. A series of ordered categorical variables index the state's institutional favoritism in 28 different ways. The variables are combined to form five composite indices for five broad components of state-religion: official status, religious education, financial support, regulatory burdens, and freedom of practice. The five components' composites in turn are further combined into a single composite score, the GRP score. The RCS Data Project would like to acknowledge, recognize, and express our deepest gratitude for the significant contributions of Todd M. Johnson, the principal investigator of the World Christian Database, the co-principal investigator of the World Religion Database, and co-author of the World Christian Encyclopedia series.
2. The Religious Characteristics of States Dataset Project: Demographics reports annual estimates of religious demographics, both country by country and region by region. It estimates populations and percentages of adherents of 100 religious denominations including second level subdivisions within Christianity and Islam. The RCS Data Project would like to acknowledge, recognize, and express our deepest gratitude for the significant contributions of Todd M. Johnson, the principal investigator of the World Christian Database, the co-principal investigator of the World Religion Database, and co-author of the World Christian Encyclopedia series.
3. Text from country constitutions was copied from primary documents obtained online using a variety of sources, including the Constitute Project, World Constitutions Illustrated, and government sources. When the text was in a language other than English, it was translated to English by ARDA staff or with web-based translation utilities such as Google Translate. Emphases were added to the text by ARDA staff to differentiate religious content from non-religious content. Text is current to the date listed in the "Current as of" field shown above. Please contact us at email@example.com if you are aware of any incorrect information provided on this page.