- Religious Freedom
- Religious Regulation
- Religious Support
Preferred Religion (2015)1: Sunni
Majority Religion (2015)2: Sunni Muslim (90.6%)
Features Of Constitution
|Is there a constitution?3||yes|
|Does the constitution state an official religion?3||not stated|
|Does the constitution provide for freedom of religion?3||yes [Article 23]|
|Does the constitution protect religious equality/non-discrimination?3||no|
|Translation3||Source is an English translation, edited by ARDA staff.|
|Current as of3||July 28, 2018|
Constitution Excerpts (clauses that reference religion)3
Article 23. Freedom of Conscience and Religion
(1) Every individual has freedom of conscience, religious faith and opinion.
(2) Forms of worship and religious ceremonies and rites are free provided they do not contravene public order or public morals or the laws enacted for these purposes.
(3) No person shall be compelled to worship; to participate in religious ceremonies and rites or to reveal his religious faith or belief; and no person shall be reproached for his religious faith or belief.
(4) Religious education and teaching is carried out under the supervision and control of the State.
(5) No person shall exploit or abuse, in any manner whatsoever, religion or religious feelings or things considered sacred by religion for the purpose of founding, even though partially, the basic social, economic, political or legal order of the State on religious precepts or for the purpose of securing political or personal advantage or influence. In the case of real or legal persons violating this prohibition or inducing others to do so, the provisions of the relevant law shall be applied and political parties shall be permanently closed down by the Supreme Court sitting as the Constitutional Court.
Article 42. Acquisitions, Requisitions and Restrictions connected with Vakf Properties.
(1) Matters relating to the acquisition and requisition of Vakf properties shall be regulated by law in accordance with the Basic Principles of Evkaf (Ahkâ mul Evkaf). Provisions relating to the restrictions and limitations which shall be imposed on Vakf properties for purposes of town and country planning, shall also be specified in such law
(2) In cases where any act of limitation or restriction is involved, the court may order stay of proceedings in respect thereof.
Article 124. Declaration of State of Emergency due to Acts of God and Serious Economic Crisis.
The Council of Ministers meeting under the chairmanship of the President of the Republic may, in cases of acts of God, dangerous infectious diseases or serious economic crisis, declare a state of emergency, in one or more areas or in the whole of the country for a period not exceeding three months.
Article 130. Broadcasting, Television and News Agencies.
(3) The principles of compliance with the requirements of a ... secular ... State ...
Article 131. Vakf Organization and the Office of Religious Affairs
(1) The institution of Vakf and the Fundamental Evcaf Rules (Ahkâmul Evkaf) are recognised by this Constitution.
(2) All matters relating to or in any way affecting the institution or foundation of Vakf or any Vakf properties, including properties belonging to mosques and any other Moslem Religious institutions, shall be subject exclusively to the Fundamental Evcaf Rules (Ahkâmül Evkaf); the legislation in force and the laws to be enacted by the Assembly of the Republic after the coming into force of this Constitution.
(3) Vakfs, the income of which belongs to the Evkaf Administration, shall be exempted from any form of taxation.
(4) The establishment and functioning of the Vakfs Organisation and the Religious Affairs Office shall be regulated by law and they shall carry out the duties prescribed by law.
(5) The State shall help the Evkaf in the execution of religious services·and in meeting the expenses of such services.
1. The Religious Characteristics of States Dataset Project: Government Religious Preference (GRP) measures government-level favoritism toward, and disfavor against, 30 religious denominations. A series of ordered categorical variables index the state's institutional favoritism in 28 different ways. The variables are combined to form five composite indices for five broad components of state-religion: official status, religious education, financial support, regulatory burdens, and freedom of practice. The five components' composites in turn are further combined into a single composite score, the GRP score. The RCS Data Project would like to acknowledge, recognize, and express our deepest gratitude for the significant contributions of Todd M. Johnson, the principal investigator of the World Christian Database, the co-principal investigator of the World Religion Database, and co-author of the World Christian Encyclopedia series.
2. The Religious Characteristics of States Dataset Project: Demographics reports annual estimates of religious demographics, both country by country and region by region. It estimates populations and percentages of adherents of 100 religious denominations including second level subdivisions within Christianity and Islam. The RCS Data Project would like to acknowledge, recognize, and express our deepest gratitude for the significant contributions of Todd M. Johnson, the principal investigator of the World Christian Database, the co-principal investigator of the World Religion Database, and co-author of the World Christian Encyclopedia series.
3. Text from country constitutions was copied from primary documents obtained online using a variety of sources, including the Constitute Project, World Constitutions Illustrated, and government sources. When the text was in a language other than English, it was translated to English by ARDA staff or with web-based translation utilities such as Google Translate. Emphases were added to the text by ARDA staff to differentiate religious content from non-religious content. Text is current to the date listed in the "Current as of" field shown above. Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you are aware of any incorrect information provided on this page.